I was nervous that our doctor would read me the riot act for bringing Macklin to his 15 month checkup when he was a little over a week away from being 17 months old (oops), but fortunately she understood. As the parent of young twins and the expectant mom of a third, she got it and didn't lecture me even for a minute. Of course, it helps that we have an awesome kiddo who is off the charts BRILLIANT. And by that I mean, he's exceeding the milestones you would expect at his age - he's not just walking, he's running; he can not only stoop and pick up his shoe off the ground, but he can chuck it at your head with surprising force; he can use his spoon to scoop up applesauce, indicate he wants more, AND hurl the empty bowl at the cat with laser-like precision. He's a toddler Superman, I tell you.
Macklin weighed in at 24 pounds and just over 31 inches, which means he grew from the 5th percentile to the 25th percentile. I suspect much of that growth came in the form of mashed potatoes and Kashi cereal bars. She also said it sounds like he has oral sensory issues, which translates that his picky eating is mostly due to not liking new textures. So we're working on desensitizing him to those new textures through exposure to the same "new" food every day for a week. This week is Grapes Desensitization Week. So far he'll pick up the grapes and feed it to me or to Charles happily, which is not quite the point but sweet anyway. If only I was lounging on the couch with a toga-clad attendant massaging my feet at the same time... I digress.
Charles is out of town most of this week, so here's a recent video we captured of Macklin imitating his Dad who was imitating a turkey.
And my personal favorite - the video we'll show to him in 15 years when he's obsessed with his hair and hogging the bathroom while getting ready for school in the mornings.
No comments:
Post a Comment