![]() |
| Say cheeeeeese. |
I'm posting this over lunch because Macklin was so charming and chatty this morning, and I'm afraid I'll forget these snippets of our conversations if I wait too long.
Mommy: Wow, I like your shirt, buddy. You look very handsome.
Macklin, dancing: I know!
Later, Macklin helped me button my red sweater and then stepped back to survey the results.
Macklin: You look berry handsome, Mommy!
Mommy, laughing: Thank you, Macklin.
We often go through the Dunkin' Donuts drive-thru in the morning so I can get a coffee - and frequently either a muffin or bagel, if my growling tummy can't handle an hour in the car without food. By then, Macklin has devoured his fruit bar or cup of Cheerios and is looking for something else to tide him over until breakfast #2 at school.
Macklin: Mommy, what you haf?
Mommy: I got coffee.
Macklin, wondering about the muffin: (pause) What's next?
Several quiet blocks later, a small voice from the backseat:
Macklin: Mommy, let's go to...to...coffee...stable. The coffee...station. Uh, uh, uh, let's go to coffee station and get muffins.
Mommy: You want to go back to the coffee shop and get muffins? No, we can't do that - we have to go to school now.
Macklin: NO. Don't WAN' go school. Wan' go to RESTAURANT and GET MUFFINS!
The breakfast muffin conversation lasted a few blocks until he resigned to the fact that no muffins were to be had (but perhaps oatmeal at school was acceptable.)
Macklin also loves listening to music - usually The Wiggles, but occasionally Mommy's country music station. He often asks, "What's this song called?" and usually wants to know why. This morning a song called Letter to Me by Brad Paisley was playing, and the lyrics go like this:
If I could write a letter to me
And send it back in time to myself at 17...
And send it back in time to myself at 17...
Macklin: What's dis song called, Mommy?
Mommy: This song is "Letter to Me."
Macklin: Why?
Mommy: Well, because the man who wrote it wanted to sing a song about the lessons we learn as we get older.
(pause)
Macklin, thoughtfully: It's 'bout growing. And be big!
That's my thoughtful boy. Growing and getting bigger every day. I've always loved this song and even more now that I'm a mom and appreciate the final advice that grown-up Brad gives teenager Brad.
You've got so much up ahead
You'll make new friends
You should see your kids and wife
And I'd end by saying have no fear
These are nowhere near the best years of your life.
You'll make new friends
You should see your kids and wife
And I'd end by saying have no fear
These are nowhere near the best years of your life.
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone.

1 comment:
Gamma and Pop-Pop can't wait to see him this weekend!
Love, Pop-Pop
Post a Comment