Monday, May 16, 2011

Discoveries and confessions

Discoveries

Just when I think I've got a decent handle on this whole raising-a-toddler thing, something comes up and throws me for a loop. For the last few weeks, poor Macklin has had one allergy-related problem after another. First he had some minor patches of eczema - no big deal, break out the Aquaphor. Then it spread to his arms. Then his shoulder blades. We cut back on baths, used less soap in his hair, and watched for new foods in his diet (none.) But the poor guy went from perfect skin to being covered in tiny bumps from head to toe, including his poor little bottom. He says the bumps don't itch, but he seems more short-tempered, so maybe they are bothering him and he doesn't realize it.

Then Macklin's respiratory allergies kicked in full force - stuffy nose, sneezing, coughing, eye rubbing. His coughing is so bad at night that we're all woken up frequently and then are crabby in the morning. We started him on allergy medicine late last week, which doesn't seem to be helping but is wiring him up considerably.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of what we've done differently that could have led to new allergens. Aside from the arrival of spring, I wasn't sure. We work hard to keep his room spotless, sheets clean, etc., so it didn't seem like a dust problem. On Sunday it occurred to me that we had (without realizing it) switched from organic milk to regular milk. It started when we ran out of organic and made a quick run to the drugstore, which only carries regular milk. Then I bought a gallon at Costco, which also only carries regular milk. So for two weeks, Macklin has been guzzling regular milk and, lo and behold, he's covered in eczema, coughing and sneezing.

Coincidence? Who knows. I hightailed it to the grocery store and plunked down $5 for a gallon of organic milk today. Maybe we'll see improvement, maybe not, but it's worth a try.

Confessions

At night, when it's dark in his room, Macklin snuggles up next to me on the floor, our foreheads touching and his arm hooked around my neck. I ask what his favorite thing of the day was, and he whispers, "I liiiike... playing with Bryce and Brooklyn" or "I liiiike... eating dinner with Mommy and Daddy."

Sometimes he takes that opportunity to confess something that happened that day. It's almost as if he knows, in the dark when Mommy can't see his face, it's okay to confess a few sins. At least Mommy won't be able to frown at him. Tonight's confession went like this:

Macklin: Mommy, I didn't take a nap at school today.

Mommy, confused: You didn't take a nap? Why not?

Macklin: I just get up from my cot.

Mommy: Why did get you get up from your cot?

Macklin: I just want Miss Phillis to read books to me.

Mommy: Oh. What did Miss Phillis say?

Macklin: Miss Phillis said no. I just carry books to Miss Phillis. But she didn't read da books to me.

Mommy: Right. Because it's time to rest, not read stories, right?

Macklin: Yes.

Mommy: So tomorrow you can rest on your cot, and Miss Phillis can read stories AFTER nap, right?

Macklin (sighs): Okay, Mommy.


***

Now say three hail Mary's and go to sleep, young man.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Sorry to hear about Macklin's allergies. Poor little guy. It's a terrible allergy season. Sure hope he gets better soon. Pop-Pop is looking forward to seeing all of you on Sunday.

Mom and Dad in Texas said...

Well, that's one for the lesson book! I am surprised that he would even drink regular milk in the first place when he has been drinking only organic. Milk is one food children tend to be really particular about. I loved the second story. How wonderful! Cherish the quiet "reflective" times with him now; they end all too soon! Love to all, Grandma in TX