Friday, September 30, 2011

Conversations with Macklin

We'll try to craft the story of our move soon before the gory details leave our memories for good. For now, though, I have to share an awesome conversation with Macklin.

As in Chicago, we live among trains - they're everywhere. A light rail line runs a block behind our house, and the CalTrain big engines run nearby as well. Macklin and I cross the train tracks on the way to and from school every day, and he loves it all: the "ding dong bells," the lights, the noise and the bumps. So when he sees tracks - any tracks - he begs for us to "go 'cross those tracks, Mommy!"

Sometimes those tracks aren't in the right spot, though, and we can't go across them without getting off track, so to speak. Every morning Macklin sees the tracks that head into Moffett Field, but they go right and we veer to the left to get on Highway 101 towards the city. This vexes Macklin as he sees the wonderfully fun un-crossed tracks fading into the distance. His whines are epic.


But MOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYY, I want to go 'cross the TRAAAACCCCKKKKSSS!!


Recently a friend complimented me on my parental communication skills, saying how impressed she was that I speak to Macklin with logic and respect. No baby talk for him, no sir. So yesterday I decided to appeal to his logical almost-three-year-old mind with some straight talk as we approached the intersection in question.

Macklin: Mommy, I want to go 'cross those tracks.


Mommy: I know. You really want to go across those tracks. That would be fun! But buddy, we can't go across them now. We have to turn left and go to school.


Macklin: But MOMMY!


Mommy: I'm sorry, buddy. Hey, those tracks go into Moffett Field anyway. That's a Navy air base. 


Macklin (confused): Moffett... Field?


Mommy (satisfied that logic has won): Yes. And you have to be military to go in there. So they won't let us in anyway.


(pause)


Macklin: But MOMMY. I am mili'try!

3 comments:

Mom and Dad in Texas said...

Great story. I wonder what he meant by "I'm military"? I'm glad he loves trains! He hears them a lot; does he get to see them and ride on them? I'd love to see his face when riding one!

Unknown said...

He does get to ride on the trains; we took one to "downtown" Mountain View for the farmer's market last week. It's only two stops, but we had fun.

Doug said...

The little guy has known trains since he's been born. I'm glad they're still in his life. I don't think we've ever gotten him a better present than the train set we bought at a garage sale