Thursday, January 22, 2009

Milestones for Macklin

Working on web design projects for the last 11 years, I'm used to thinking about progress in terms of milestones. There's the milestone marking the end of requirements gathering, the project storyboards delivery milestone, the launch milestone, and so on. So it's interesting that raising Macklin is also marked by milestones - of the developmental sort.

Last night when I picked up Mack from daycare, his primary caregiver, Petula (Tula), said he was hitting some big milestones. He's spending more time noticing his hands and flexing his fingers, and he holds his head up steadily when he's being held (unless he's sleepy, then it bounces all over the place). The most fun milestone is his voice - following in Daddy's footsteps, Mack is a big talker. Tula noted that he talks constantly, but he will say something and then wait for you to respond before speaking again. He's quite the polite conversationalist. Also, Mack loves watching the other kids at daycare; he can sit in his bouncy seat and watch them with fascination as they run around the room or eat their lunches. Sometimes when I drop by to feed him at lunchtime, he's watching the older babies eat their pureed sweet potatoes and waving his arms, drooling all the while. I think our little guy will be very excited about real food once it's his turn.

Also, Mack's becoming a much better nighttime sleeper. We're working on a bedtime routine, and this week he's steadily fallen asleep by 9-9:30 pm, slept until 1-1:30 am, nursed for a half hour then returned to sleep until 6:15-6:30 am. That's GREAT!

I have more photos and a great video, but I'll have to post them once Daddy gets home from his trip, and I have a little more free time!

5 comments:

Mom and Dad in Texas said...

Wow! These are fun times. Macklin is noticing his fingers and waving his hands. What fun it is to watch babies as they begin to explore their world. His little world is beginning to expand, and he is beginning to learn--and he is developing a sleeping pattern. Do yourself a favor and start putting some of this down in his baby book before you forget.
XOXO to all.

Alicia said...

Get used to mom telling you to write things down...haha...and then take her advice because it is important. :) The girls love looking at their baby stuff, and so do I.

Yeah for Macklin learning about his hands!! What a smart boy!! Can't believe he is 3 months old now.

Mom and Dad in Texas said...

In a sense, I guess this might be Macklin's baby book, and I think this is fantastic technology! But what happens when a "new" technology comes along? Will we still be able to view Baby Mack when he was tiny, like we can in a paper baby book? Hum-m-m.

Just wondering.

Jennifer said...

Definitely keep a paper baby book going, too! :)

Unknown said...

I will definitely be updating his paper baby book as soon as I can. (Anyone want to fly up and babysit so I can get to it sooner?)

However, I do believe that my baby book is largely blank, with a couple of Good Housekeeping recipes shoved between the pages. Ah, the joys of the 3rd kid.