Mackie had his visit with the wonderful Dr. Rowland on Monday, and everything is rolling along well. He was extra tired due to waking up a bit earlier than usual, but he was his usual good-natured self and didn't get too cranky with Dr. R or the sweet-but-evil nurse who gave him his shots.
Mack's doing great meeting all the right developmental milestones and whatnot, but he hasn't gained as much weight as I would like. He's at 15.5 pounds now, which puts him around the 25th percentile. Since he has been at the 50th percentile since birth, this means he slowed down over the last two months. Dr. R says that could be due to his increase in physical activity and is not at all concerned, but of course, it sent me into a tailspin. To think he's not thriving and gaining weight off breastmilk is a sad and sobering thought. So despite all my best efforts to keep him well-stocked with milk at daycare, it's clearly not enough, so we're now supplementing with formula. He nurses in the morning, gets a 6 ounce bottle of formula at daycare, followed by a noon and afternoon 6 ounce bottle of breastmilk, then oatmeal and nursing at home before bed. (He loooooves his oatmeal!) He nurses in the middle of the night still, which the doctor said can continue as long as he seems to be eating and not playing just for fun. This weekend we're starting him on pureed veggies - probably sweet potatoes. Hopefully we'll put a few more pounds on our little guy soon, so he's not so little anymore.
After his shots, he's been super tired and fussy for two days. Here's hoping he's back to his happy self before Grandma and Grandpa Berg arrive tomorrow for Mother's Day weekend!
2 comments:
I am glad to know he loves his oatmeal now. That should put some weight on him, and sweet potatoes surely will. The doctors surely have you feeding him backwards from how I introduced foods to you. I gave you fruits with your oatmeal before introducing any veggies, and I did not give many sweet potatoes because they made you gassy--and you doubled up your legs and cried from the gas. I think the first veggies I gave you were squash, then green peas, then green beans and then the sweet potatoes. Formula will also add weight to baby boy. That is when Addi began to get chubby. She has rolls of fat now. Macklin may be like you; you did not gain a lot of weight and hence you have remained thin. I can't wait to see him and hold him!
What, no photos?! Oh, sweet potatoes will be gooood. xoxox
Post a Comment