One of our many parenting books dispensed some advice that has stuck with me. The book, I forget which one, pointed out that while we're getting used to a new arrival in the house, that selfsame new arrival is getting used to you. The implication is that, on one level, we all have a new arrangement to get used to -- kind of like a new roommate. And if everyone involved plays their cards right, they can have it all. Well, as long as "all" is narrowly defined, like, say, watching a DVD movie on the weekend instead of collapsing after the kid has gone to bed.
Saturday was the fruit of all this claptrap about getting used to each other. Sara & I brought the full wisdom of our six months as parents by finding an activity we all would like, going to it, and then leaving before one of us (most likely the one that weighs 15 or so pounds, hint hint) totally melts down. We went to Montrose Harbor, on Lake Michigan, a mere mile away from our house, for a kite festival. After spending a little less than two hours kite, dog, and people watching we retired back home for our meal and afternoon nap. A good time was had by all and a warm feeling spread over Sara & I as we realized that this was a great parenting success. Sara & I celebrated after Macklin went to bed with grilled chicken kebabs and, yes, we watched a whole movie before collapsing.
If we were Gallant on Saturday, then we were our usual Goofus on Sunday. It started out well, with three errands starting at noon: bike shop, furniture store, Whole Foods. We had about 2, 2 1/2 hours, we figured, before Mack needed to go home for a nap. We were prepared to feed Mack halfway through to buy us some time out. We got to the furniture store (Pottery Barn) to look at clearance area rugs, our first task. They didn't set us on fire, so I (you can see where this is going, can't you?) suggested looking at Crate & Barrel. After all, it was across the street. We didn't see anything there we liked, so we returned to the car and fed Mack. No problem. Then, Whole Foods.
Well, right. The Whole Foods we went to was one we had not been to in a while, so we didn't know where anything was. And, anyway, Whole Foods is designed for you to browse and waste time. All three of were stimulated enough by The Whole Foods Experience (TM) that Sara & I came out of there with even more errands. Hey, there was a wine store right nearby I wanted to visit and Sara wanted to check out a plant store near that one. Before we knew it, Mack is groaning for lack of a nap while I do round trips in the parking lot hoping he will fall asleep and Sara will get those plants. By the time we were pointed towards home, it was 2:45 and Mack was hollering for lack of a nap. He didn't find that sleep bug until a bunch of crying and the clock had past 3pm. Did I mention we have been parents for only six months?
Anyway, he finally got his sleep -- a bit late, but no foul -- and here's some pictures from the awesome kite flying day. Also, in there, are a couple of pictures of Sara worrying about the cradle cap on Mack's head.
3 comments:
What fun that looks like! Looks like little boy is an outside boy, isn't he? He seems to be enjoying himself.
About the cradlecap, try putting a tiny bit of baby shampoo on his head and then gently scrubbing it with a soft to medium toothbrush. I think it will bring it up after several washings.
I hope the weather cooperates so we can get outside with you guys and Macklin this weekend. We are really looking forward to seeing you.
Grandpa Berg
Does Macklin need a subscription to Highlights for Children, or do you get that already...love the references. :)
Post a Comment