Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A dining breakthrough?

I'm beginning to suspect that new moms have developmental milestones right alongside their babies. For me, the milestones mark a new thing I've learned to worry about and, dare I admit, obsess over.

Month 1-2: Why is he CRYING?

Month 3-4: Why does he HATE baths?

Month 5-6: For the love of all things holy, when will he sleep through the NIGHT?

Months 7-10: How much milk does this kid NEED?

Of course, just as I figure out what works for the current worry and start to relax, something else starts nipping at my heels. Lately it's been an ongoing battle mostly about food. Macklin apparently hates all new foods and rarely tries anything new unless it resembles a) bread, or b) bread with melted cheese. All soft cooked vegetables and fruits are rejected either with a scrunched up face and flung spoon, or a vigorous shaking of the head. (Both are so cute, it makes having dinner end up on my lap somewhat tolerable.)

Daycare is now feeding Macklin his morning oatmeal and fruit as well as lunch, which is usually mashed potatoes with soft veggies and/or chicken nugget bits mixed in. They have to hide the veggies and meat in the potatoes because he rejects it otherwise. Rumor has it he once ate meatballs there, but he hasn't done it since. Incredibly, all noodles are on his do-not-eat list. Boy, once he finally tries it, he's going to wonder how he lived without mac 'n cheese for so long.

Tonight was a surprising success, though. A daycare mom suggested giving him soups, so I warmed up some organic veggie and barley soup. I pureed his, and he promptly refused it. But when I offered him some from my bowl with whole veggies and a BIG spoon, he ate several spoonfuls - probably almost a half cup. He also had some peach rice pudding, which was strongly flavored with cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg. Yum!

Here's hoping the soup trend holds. It will be nice to give him a nice hot dinner that doesn't require a ton of prep, but includes the veggie and meat food groups that he usually rejects.

I wonder what's next on my worry list? What's on yours?

2 comments:

Melissa and Clint said...

As you know...I am still worried Owen (5 months) will never sleep through the night! I am also worried that he will never eat from a spoon. HAHA. He'll gain those skills soon enough....just don't rush it, right?
Funny story...Owen's cord stayed on for 3.5 weeks. I thought it was an eternity...and was worried. Around 3 weeks, I called my sister-in-law who is in the medical profession and asked her 'will it ever come off'. Her response: "Yes, Melissa, it will come off. No child ever goes to kindergarten with their cord still on.". :) Maybe we can look at all the milestones our babies are supposed to be reaching now and know full well that they will accomplish them before they go to kindergarten!

Unknown said...

That's so funny - I can't believe his cord hung on for so long! Mack's was gone before we even realized it. One day it just wasn't there. I suspect it fell off while I nursed him in the bed at 2 am or so, and I didn't notice. Thank goodness, because really, I probably would have felt compelled to keep it. (Because how can I throw ANYTHING that is his away?) And really, who needs to see that laying around? Blech.